Logs for the Kovri Dev Meeting Held on 2017-05-07

Posted by: dEBRUYNE / fluffypony

May 7th, 2017

Logs

<anonimal> 1. Greetings
<anonimal> 2. Brief review of what's been completed since the previous meeting
<anonimal> 3. More preparation for 96boards.org OpenHours showcase for Kovri / Monero (@fluffypony @danrmiller location status)
<anonimal> 4. Status (again) of Monero HackerOne umbrella and bounty. hackerone.com/monero is online but we need to resolve FFS funding before inviting researchers. VRP status for all projects + bounty status
<anonimal> 5. Open forum for https://github.com/monero-project/kovri/issues/630
<anonimal> 6. Website status (@rehrar @bigreddmachine @alvinjoelsantos @danrmiller)
<anonimal> 7. @EinMByte …where is he? Github repo privilege discussion
<anonimal> 8. Code + ticket discussion / Q & A
<anonimal> 9. Any additional meeting items
<anonimal> 10. Confirm next meeting date/time
<anonimal> Hello
<moroccanmalinois> hi
<sgp> hey!
<endogenic> o/
<ajs> Here
<iDunk> \o
<i2p-relay> {-fluffypony} hi!
<rehrar> Here for a bit, then gone, then back.
<anonimal> Yay, enough people for a party.
<Heretoobserve> Hello
<anonimal> 2. Brief review of what's been completed since the previous meeting
<rehrar> 3…2…1… KOVRI!!!
<ArticMine> hello
<anonimal> For me, see http://forum.getmonero.org/9/work-in-progress/86967/anonimal-s-kovri-full-time-development-funding-thread?page=&noscroll=1#post-90900
<anonimal> moroccanmalinois can fill us in on his work.
<moroccanmalinois> i've been playing with fuzz testing
<i2p-relay> {-fluffypony} nice
<anonimal> I've looked through the PR's, looks like fun.
<moroccanmalinois> it's the beginning. More tests to come
<anonimal> Any questions/comments on point 2?
<i2p-relay> {-fluffypony} and guzzi ?
<anonimal> guzzi is not here, …again…
<anonimal> He says he's doing work but I haven't seen a commit or question from him in over 7 weeks, AFAICT.
<anonimal> I think he's trying to separate the contexts from the singleton. At least that's the end goal.
<i2p-relay> {-fluffypony} guzzi: when you read this, please make an effort to attend meetings
<i2p-relay> {-fluffypony} I know you're around at other times, but meetings are important
<anonimal> Yes, please.
<anonimal> Ok, anything else on 2.?
<i2p-relay> {-fluffypony} no
<anonimal> 3. More preparation for 96boards.org OpenHours showcase for Kovri / Monero (@fluffypony @danrmiller location status)
<anonimal> Is pigeons still in Africa? This point was moved from last meeting.
<i2p-relay> {-pigeons} i returned yesterday
<moneromooo> Are you suggesting pigeons migrate ?
<i2p-relay> {-pigeons} i saw rock doves
<anonimal> fluffypony? How's it going?
<i2p-relay> {-fluffypony} anonimal: it's a podcast, right?
<anonimal> https://www.96boards.org/openhours/, there are videos too.
<i2p-relay> {-fluffypony} ok well I'm ready whenever
<i2p-relay> {-fluffypony} I don't really prepare for stuff like this
<bigreddmachine> sorry i'm late!
<anonimal> Ok well what time/date works for you?
<anonimal> fluffypony ^
<i2p-relay> {-fluffypony} anonimal: my PA would have to schedule it - probably best to get my PA to schedule myself and pigeons and them
<i2p-relay> {-fluffypony} she's good at that
<i2p-relay> {-fluffypony} it's literally her job :-P
<i2p-relay> {-pigeons} I was thinking ask hyc if he's interested, he's been playing with arm and monero i think
<i2p-relay> {-fluffypony} cool
<i2p-relay> {-fluffypony} hyc is a beautiful man
<bigreddmachine> +1 Ric's PA. She was great when i wanted to schedule a podcast
* anonimal pinged him in #monero-dev
<anonimal> Ok well at this point, IMHO, fluffypony I think it would be good for you to touch base / introduce yourself to sdrobertw in #OpenHours on freenode.
<anonimal> I think I can only play the middleman for so long.
<i2p-relay> {-fluffypony} email is better for Shay, I don't think I can teach her IRC :-P
<anonimal> Contact info? I have none.
<i2p-relay> {-fluffypony} for them?
<i2p-relay> {-fluffypony} didn't we reach out to them via email first?
<i2p-relay> {-fluffypony} * can't remember
<anonimal> For Shay
<anonimal> No, not via email, all IRC.
<i2p-relay> {-fluffypony} oh lol
<i2p-relay> {-fluffypony} [email protected]
<anonimal> Alright, anything else on this point before moving on?
<anonimal> 4. Status (again) of Monero HackerOne umbrella and bounty. hackerone.com/monero is online but we need to resolve FFS funding before inviting researchers. VRP status for all projects + bounty status
<anonimal> I've sent a VRP to monero, it's been merged. I believe we're funded at ~500 XMR, which is great.
<anonimal> Any questions?
<anonimal> We just need to launch after submitting VRP to the GUI (and site?)
<anonimal> Sound good?
<bigreddmachine> Is the bounty held in xmr or something else?
<anonimal> Yes. Link to FFS in the meta issue.
<ArticMine> https://forum.getmonero.org/8/funding-required/87597/monero-bounty-for-hackerone It was funded to 500 XMR and then increased to 1000 XMR for further funding
<bigreddmachine> ty
<anonimal> I think we can start now before funding is at 1000.
<anonimal> (it won't mean we'll find researchers immediately anyway)
<anonimal> Any questions/comments before moving onto next point?
<i2p-relay> {-fluffypony} yrah
<i2p-relay> {-fluffypony} agreed
<i2p-relay> {-fluffypony} we can continue to increase it as necessary
<anonimal> Ok. Moving on,
<anonimal> 5. Open forum for https://github.com/monero-project/kovri/issues/630
<anonimal> Comments needed before we move on this.
<i2p-relay> {-fluffypony} I agree with MoroccanMalinois, but I think it's manageable if we set a severity
<i2p-relay> {-fluffypony} and some caveats
<moneromooo> Maybe a strict validity domain definition would do good (ie, "we only accept vulns in the following categories").
<moneromooo> And then expand the list as stuff matures.
<bigreddmachine> moneromooo - why would we restrict?
<moneromooo> To prevent known problems from being reported, or problems in stuff that is known to be unfinished.
<i2p-relay> {-pigeons} because the code has a bunch of legacy mess and is early state with low hanging fruit that is just later on the to fix when that section gets refactored
<anonimal> Yes. So, with that said, I don't know what categories we could even have.
<anonimal> at this stage
<anonimal> moneromooo: did you have any ideas on categories for this stage?
<moneromooo> No. I've not really looked at kovri yet, despite saying I would (sorry).
<i2p-relay> {-pigeons} i2p consensus related issues
<i2p-relay> {-pigeons} if we implement like X we might cause incompatibility
<i2p-relay> {-pigeons} maybe those but again maybe those are known and will be fixed when those sections are given love
<moneromooo> Anything which can leak keymat. Good starting point.
<moneromooo> Ideally you'd start giving bounties when you know you've done what you could, and the bounty to find bugs is less than what your time is worth looking at it :)
<anonimal> pigeons: Well, then I think that's java I2P's problem because they would then have to keep up with us. What we could do now though is start with a research-related category for general specifications?
<moneromooo> So it's a bit subjective.
<anonimal> moneromooo: indeed, and this is border-lining on simply hiring a new dev too with the funds available.
<moneromooo> Well, the draw is that the bounty ensures results for the money.
<moneromooo> So expert time.
<anonimal> What if we opened bounty for non-implementation research? I know this is an MRL area though.
<anonimal> Or we could open more categories for implementation but the payout is smaller because code is Alpha?
<moneromooo> For finding bugs in the theory, definitely worth doing so (for monero anyway, I expect kovri's following established research already).
<anonimal> (then they would risk waiting to beta to 0day to get bigger payout?)
<rehrar> what up kids? I'm here.
<anonimal> I think monero's research is more vetted than I2P's, even though I2P has been around longer. Simply because there are less moving parts.
<moroccanmalinois> +1 for bounty for non-implementation research
<moneromooo> Interesting.
<anonimal> Just my opinion. I've read the I2P papers available, I'm not blown away but it's better than nothing.
<anonimal> And not like I'm in a position to drop everything to do purely research so…
<anonimal> We'll add categories for bounty? One obvious one being research. Maybe crypto implementation sooner than later since that's a big one.
<anonimal> Sound fair?
<moneromooo> From a relative outsider, it seems like a sensible start.
<bigreddmachine> yes. is "leaked info" too broad of a category?
<moroccanmalinois> yes for me
<anonimal> Yes because a leak would cover too much code that hasn't been vetted.
<anonimal> * could cover
<anonimal> Ok, I'll get that going then.
<anonimal> Moving on. 6. Website status (@rehrar @bigreddmachine @alvinjoelsantos @danrmiller)
<i2p-relay> {-pigeons} I need to talk with fluffypony about a potential dns thing
<rehrar> aight, so just in case somebody hasn't seen the Kovri web design here it is: http://imgur.com/a/An8K8
<rehrar> it's the top one
<i2p-relay> {-pigeons} then the demo of ajs' site should be up
<i2p-relay> {-fluffypony} I got msgs about it
<i2p-relay> {-fluffypony} will look at it tomorrow
<rehrar> it's based on the same framework as the getmonero.org website, so once the custom framework is made for one, it is easy to make pages for the other
<rehrar> my update is that we're making the framework even now, and it's coming along well, I should be able to make a few experimental Kovri pages soon
<rehrar> The question is content.
<anonimal> I think the "It's I2P, but in C++" phrase should go; we should use our standard "A secure, private, untraceable C++ implementation of the I2P anonymous network" <ajs> I will work with rehrar to write up some content, but need direction on what should be included.
<rehrar> that's fine. Copy is not indicative. :)
<bigreddmachine> My past month has been packed getting ready for my phd comprehensive exam (1 step before the defense). So I haven't looked at the site yet, but talked briefly with ajs about it and plan to get more involved now that that's done.
<anonimal> Other than that, can we move this item to the website meeting in #monero in 10 minutes?
<rehrar> sure, that sounds alright.
<moneromooo> It looks nice (says the cow who's got no clue about design).
<ajs> K
<anonimal> bigreddmachine ajs: will you be around in 10 minutes in #monero?
<ajs> Yes
<bigreddmachine> yeah, i'm also editing tonight's podcast episode so i may take a minute to reply
<anonimal> rehrar: yes, what moneromooo said, looks nice
<rehrar> cool. If people have ideas for content that are not on the demo site
<anonimal> Ok, moving on. 7. @EinMByte …where is he? Github repo privilege discussion
<rehrar> let me know
<rehrar> I'd like to have a simple website for alpha release :)
<anonimal> fluffypony: so… his last commit was from Septemeber 19th, he's not responded to 99% of my pings since then…
<bigreddmachine> i haven't seen him since i started getting involved in Jan
<anonimal> I speak highly of him and his work, I think he's a great contributor and wish he was around more.
<bigreddmachine> could be a legal issue?
<anonimal> The problem is he's not around anymore, he has assigned issues of which I've had to assign myself since he's not around to do them.
<anonimal> And he has repository push access. If something happened to him and his account is compromised, we could be left in an embarrassing trolling situation where someone deletes the repo.
<anonimal> I don't want to send any wrong signals but I also think access privileges should be on an as-needed basis.
<bigreddmachine> i think that's fair. can always be re-established if he comes back and he can be verified
<bigreddmachine> in that vein, should things like Salti tracking be moved to another place?
<anonimal> I don't know, we'll have to bring that up at the next meeting I think since we're running out of time.
<anonimal> fluffypony: any thoughts about this? Will you remove EinMByte's github push access privileges?
<moneromooo> I think it's fair to revoke for inactivity and failure to reply to pings. Reinstate when back.
<bigreddmachine> okay, can we add #619 to next meeting's agenda?
<moneromooo> I'd also want to remove warptangent's key (unlikely to be back to use it) and a few others.
<anonimal> bigreddmachine: oh, sure I guess, more research/info needed.
<bigreddmachine> k i'll just reply to the issue and talk about it there for now. sorry to jump into other discussion about that.
<anonimal> No problem
<anonimal> Since we're running out of time, 8. Code + ticket discussion / Q & A
<bigreddmachine> last update from me — mozilla work continues with the proxy stuff, but not ready yet. i don't have a good feel for how long
<anonimal> Anything pressing? Questions/comments that can't be answered on github or after the meeting?
<anonimal> Ok, thanks bigreddmachine
<rehrar> not from me, I'll be in contact :(
<rehrar> :)
<anonimal> 9. Any additional meeting items
<bigreddmachine> none. thanks anonimal!
<anonimal> Nothing from me, other than I need to AFK rehrar so, bigreddmachine ajs pigeons if you want to talk more about kovri-site then I'll have to read backlog
<rehrar> aight, thanks.
<sgp> Now over to monero!
<ajs> K
<anonimal> Thank you all if you keep the torch burning for the site, awesome.
<anonimal> 10. Confirm next meeting date/time
<anonimal> 2 weeks, same time?
<rehrar> indeed
<anonimal> Ok. Thanks everyone :)


Post tags : Dev Diaries, i2p, Cryptography