Logs for the Kovri Dev Meeting Held on 2017-03-26

Posted by: dEBRUYNE / fluffypony

March 26, 2017

Logs

<anonimal> 1. Greetings
<anonimal> 2. Brief review of what's been completed since the previous meeting
<i2p-relay> {-vtnerd} oh I guess there is one more thing. the backend was going to hopefully push updates to connected clients
<anonimal> 3. Monero HackerOne Bounty https://www.reddit.com/r/Monero/comments/5zmywx/monero_bounty_for_hackerone/
<i2p-relay> {-fluffypony} ok anonimal, all yours
<anonimal> 3. Code + ticket discussion / Q & A
<anonimal> 4. Any additional meeting items
<anonimal> 5. Confirm next meeting date/time
<anonimal> Greetings.
<samsunggalaxyplayer> hey!
<guzzi> Hi
<i2p-relay> {-olark} o/
<guzzi> Sweet olark
<i2p-relay> {-olark} Yeah I missed the monero meeting unfortunately :/
<i2p-relay> {-olark} I'll read the logs
<guzzi> Really good meeting
<anonimal> On topic please
<anonimal> 2. Brief review of what's been completed since the previous meeting
<anonimal> https://forum.getmonero.org/9/work-in-progress/86967/anonimal-s-kovri-full-time-development-funding-thread?page=&noscroll=1#post-90733
<anonimal> ^ for a summary on my part
<anonimal> moroccanmalinois has done some great work since the previous meeting. We have a new utility binary with multiple features. He's also done work elsewhere in the codebase.
<moroccanmalinois> :)
<anonimal> guzzi has also contributed to the utility binary. guzzi can you link to your FFS if you're doing work summaries/reports?
<moneromooo> What does this utility binary do, in a nutshell ?
* anonimal wants to say ./kovri-util -h
<guzzi> I will add summary tonight
<guzzi> On phone
<moneromooo> OK, I'll try to pull someday and check :P
<anonimal> guzzi: then give us a tl;dr for point 2. please
<moroccanmalinois> moneromooo base32, base64, routerinfo( reads a RI file) and su3file (reads an su3file)
<moroccanmalinois> and the crypto benchmark
<guzzi> Added benchmarks to utility
<anonimal> guzzi: I already said that, didn't you do other things too? Like research, etc.?
<guzzi> Starting in on instance class refactor a d todos
<guzzi> Researched address book for possible lmdb
<guzzi> Sgould be easy
<guzzi> Should
<anonimal> What should be easy? None of that looks easy…
<anonimal> Anyway, we'll save that for later. Anything else on point 2.?
<guzzi> Relatively easy from db perspective. Difficult from kovri perspective yes
<anonimal> 3. Monero HackerOne Bounty https://www.reddit.com/r/Monero/comments/5zmywx/monero_bounty_for_hackerone/
<anonimal> fluffypony: ^ thoughts?
<i2p-relay> {-fluffypony} so my thoughts is that we should just do a general fund across all the projects
<i2p-relay> {-fluffypony} because HackerOne let's us basically apportion stuff as needed
<i2p-relay> {-fluffypony} so we don't have to give out the entire bounty for some stupid XSS attack
<anonimal> Ok. I'll have to talk with them about setting up Monero. Do we include the GUI into /monero or create /monero-gui? We can probably wrap it into /monero if needed. Do we create /monero-site ?
<i2p-relay> {-fluffypony} anonimal: everything goes under the Monero umbrella / bounty, right?
<i2p-relay> {-fluffypony} just that each actual sub project can be represented
<anonimal> I'm speaking purely about H1 accounts.
<anonimal> We do whatever we want with fund management.
<anonimal> fluffypony: it's possible but then all monero developers have access to all bug reports for all subprojects
<anonimal> So that brings up a trust issue. I'm fine with the idea but it should be mentioned.
<i2p-relay> * fluffypony ponders
<anonimal> Also I'd like to have access to the account as account holder. This is something I couldn't do if we throw into one account.
<anonimal> And whoever is the account holder for all subprojects has that responsibility. And if the single account is ever compromised…
<anonimal> In other words, it's not very decentralized in terms of who controls accounts.
<i2p-relay> {-fluffypony} anonimal: doesn't really matter if it's compromised, because there's no money there?
<anonimal> fluffypony: it's about access to reports. If we don't care about who has access to reports, then there's not much reason to use HackerOne
<i2p-relay> {-fluffypony} mooneroo: for the monero-project GitHub account the core team all have the password, because there's no easy way to share that control otherwise - could we not do the same for H1?
<anonimal> I mean, there are features/benefits, but access to vulnerabilities is a big issue.
<i2p-relay> {-fluffypony} amongst maintainers I mean
<anonimal> pinging mooneroo or moneromooo?
<anonimal> We could do that I think.
<moneromooo> Well, some members of hte monero core team are pretty much inactive AIUI. So no need to get them access to this.
<i2p-relay> {-fluffypony} whoops
<i2p-relay> {-fluffypony} I meant anonimal
<i2p-relay> {-fluffypony} sorry ignore typo
<i2p-relay> {-fluffypony} anonimal: for the monero-project GitHub account the core team all have the password, because there's no easy way to share that control otherwise - could we not do the same for H1?
<i2p-relay> {-fluffypony} moneromooo: would be among maintainers
<i2p-relay> {-fluffypony} lol
<i2p-relay> {-fluffypony} the core team have passwords for stuff like this as a fallback
<anonimal> I don't think inactive people should have access to H1. Only on a as-needed basis. Maybe when they become active again?
* moneromooo misread anonimal's ping, nevermind
<ArticMine> The drop dead theory
<i2p-relay> {-fluffypony} ^^
<i2p-relay> {-fluffypony} it's just an anti-bus factor
<i2p-relay> {-fluffypony} the main people using it would be maintainers, which are currently just me and anonimal
<moneromooo> I was given access a while back (though might have been rescinded by now).
<anonimal> No, you have access to kovri
<i2p-relay> {-fluffypony} and I don't think there's a big issue with maintainers having visibility on other reports
<anonimal> As does EinMByte but is he still alive?
<anonimal> Alright, so any other big issues with merging everything into a single account?
<anonimal> And how many subprojects do we apply this too? I can PR the VRP to all appropriate subprojects and update docs as needed.
<i2p-relay> {-fluffypony} we can always split it out later
<i2p-relay> {-fluffypony} I think the only relevant projects are: GUI, CLI, Kovri, site
<anonimal> I imagine the site and forum could gain from this too.
<i2p-relay> {-fluffypony} forum is being deprecated, so let's leave it off
<i2p-relay> {-fluffypony} but there will be some forum functionality moving into the site (FFS in particular)
<i2p-relay> {-fluffypony} so keeping the site there is necessary
<anonimal> Ok
<i2p-relay> {-fluffypony} anonimal: maybe an infrastructure one too, which is pigeons' domain?
<jacobjeweler> Nodepool code perhaps?
<moneromooo> Meh. And no real maintainer.
<jacobjeweler> Snipa's work
<i2p-relay> {-fluffypony} @JacobJeweler no, that's not a core project
<i2p-relay> {-fluffypony} external projects can do their own H1 stuff
<anonimal> fluffypony: sure, as long as we can communicate that to people e.g., use the Meta repo has a point of contact + place to post VRP etc.
<i2p-relay> {-fluffypony} I think we should come up with a paragraph for the READMEs
<anonimal> Ok. We need the VRP somewhere though. It's solid (moreso than having nothing).
<pigeons> we lost irc2p again
<i2p-relay> {-pigeons} ok i'll file a few reports as someone else for a bounty then
<i2p-relay> {-fluffypony} works here pigeons
<moneromooo> One thing also that's probably needed: a list of "this does not count". Like all that's known already.
<i2p-relay> {-pigeons} hmm yeah, just some selective drops, oh well
<moneromooo> But this is easily a bone of contention otherwise.
<anonimal> moneromooo: that's included in H1. We can incorporate that into one of the features they have.
<i2p-relay> {-fluffypony} moneromooo: agreed
<i2p-relay> {-fluffypony} every report is subjective
<anonimal> (iirc)
<anonimal> Ok, so I will contact them and move these into a single account.
<anonimal> And do all the related things necessary.
<anonimal> As for funding,
* anonimal reads backlog for fluffypony's message
<anonimal> "general fund across all projects"
<anonimal> Ok,
<anonimal> separate from the dev fund? i.e., separate address too?
<i2p-relay> {-fluffypony} this will be an FFS
<i2p-relay> {-fluffypony} just open-ended with some minimum
<anonimal> Ok, so no separate donation address. All FFS, and funds are held like the dev fund?
<anonimal> (or like any FFS project)
<i2p-relay> {-fluffypony} yes
<i2p-relay> {-olark} How much money should we aim to raise for H1?
<i2p-relay> {-olark} Assuming this will need to be replenished every now and then.
<i2p-relay> {-fluffypony} I have no idea - suggestions?
<anonimal> https://forum.getmonero.org/6/ideas/87597/monero-bounty-for-hackerone suggested 500 total for all projects
<anonimal> (500 XMR)
* anonimal checks value
<i2p-relay> {-fluffypony} olark: yes but bounties are normally denominated in USD
<i2p-relay> {-fluffypony} so potentially it wouldn't need to be replenished, or hardly
<i2p-relay> {-fluffypony} unless we have lots and lots of exploits
<anonimal> Hmmm… well, at current price, 500 seems reasonable IMHO. That could attract some serious researchers.
<anonimal> Thoughts?
<i2p-relay> {-olark} Probably easier to outline what the rewards should be for LOW, MEDIUM, and HIGH severity of vulnerabilites and then figure out how much money should be raised.
<anonimal> We don't have X thought: X being how many of Y.
<anonimal> *though
<anonimal> If we run out of the fund, we can always open a new FFS.
<i2p-relay> {-olark} 500 xmr seems like a good start anyway.
<i2p-relay> {-fluffypony} yeah let's just stick to that and see how it goes
<anonimal> Ok
<i2p-relay> {-olark} Right.
<anonimal> Awesome. Anything else on point 3.?
<i2p-relay> {-fluffypony} next?
<anonimal> Do we extend 20 minutes or are we screwed because of earlier?
<moneromooo> There are two point 3s.
<moneromooo> Extend, and whoever wants to leave leaves :)
<i2p-relay> {-fluffypony} we can extend to finish up, but let's do it ASAP so I can move on to tagging and releasing
<anonimal> lol, yes. Github turns that into 4 if I copypasta. If I get original text, it's 3.
<anonimal> 4. Code + ticket discussion / Q & A
<anonimal> Damn, well, I could easily spend 20-30 minutes on this point because we haven't had a meeting in so long.
* anonimal grabs link instead
<anonimal> Ok, here we are https://github.com/monero-project/kovri/issues?q=is%3Aopen+is%3Aissue+milestone%3A0.1.0-alpha
<moroccanmalinois> A little question about the reload : what is supposed to happen if no param changed ?
<anonimal> #187 isn't as obvious as I had hoped. I'll have to approach it differently, from the basics, and start by actually getting some unit-tests for ntcp.
<moroccanmalinois> if the user didn't specified a port, should it get a new random one ?
<anonimal> So that will be fun.
<anonimal> As for #340, #369 is moot because of the other open ticket for cutting out all unnecessary sig types,
<anonimal> #305 should actually be closed for now,
<anonimal> guzzi is working on #96. It's not mandatory for 0.1.0-alpha release so I may move it to next milestone,
<anonimal> #9 needs review and may not really be needed after all
<guzzi> I can work on those unit tests for ntcp if u want
<anonimal> No that's fine guzzi, thank you.
<anonimal> All that leaves is #46 and #362
<anonimal> ajs is on #46. He's supposed to be in talks with pigeons I think. I haven't heard from ajs in a little while though. ping ajs.
<anonimal> #362 comes at the very end once we tag. I'll throw it on AUR and away we go.
* anonimal reads moroccanmalinois's lines
<anonimal> moroccanmalinois: if no port specified in config, that would be a default option. I don't like that though.
<anonimal> What I think we should do is add a default random port to the config somehow.
<anonimal> Otherwise we jump through these kinds of hurdles. But doing that for binary releases… hmm…
<i2p-relay> {-olark} We could just set a random port when a new router context is initialized.
<anonimal> moroccanmalinois: worst case scenario, if the app is still running during restart (assuming because client and core are the only things being restarted), we reuse the previous port.
<moroccanmalinois> ok
<i2p-relay> {-olark} It currently just defaults to 0 afaik.
<anonimal> ?
<i2p-relay> {-olark} In router context.
<i2p-relay> {-olark} m_Port
<i2p-relay> {-olark} Assuming we are talking about the same thing.
<anonimal> Nope, you're not looking in the right area.
<i2p-relay> {-olark} k
<anonimal> I can explain more after the meeting. moroccanmalinois can probably too because it sounds like he understands the design as well.
<moroccanmalinois> m_Port == 0 means choose a random one. another question : i read somewhere in the java doc about a "Laptop mode", i think the pb it tries to solve is more about dynamic ips. Is it on the roadmap ?
<anonimal> Nope, not on the roadmap but it can be.
<anonimal> Just open a feature request.
<moroccanmalinois> :) ok
<pero> it was just brought to my attention yesterday? that there's a ticket for pr'ing the logo - i was under the impression that my involvement with that was done, but looks like there's some miscommunication and i can get around to that soon-ish
<anonimal> Anything else on point 4.? We don't have to rush this part if needed.
<anonimal> What/
<anonimal> ?
<anonimal> Link?
<guzzi> Learning the instance class
<pero> what what
<guzzi> Anyone apposed to creating member variables for router context and client context.
<guzzi> And giving them proper constructors
<guzzi> It was a todo to find out why they are this way currently
<anonimal> guzzi: please provide line number and file
<anonimal> pero: what's your question?
<pero> there is no question
<anonimal> guzzi: for the TODO
<anonimal> pero: there's a question mark. What is your point?
<pero> where is there a question mark
<moneromooo> After "yesterday".
<moneromooo> Looks like a typo for "".
<pero> this is ticket discussion isnt it - i was chiming in on something that was ostensibly assigned to me without my knowledge
<ajs> anonimal: pigeons said he got a server for #46, but waiting for access to move over files
<anonimal> pero: nothing was assigned to you
<anonimal> ajs: ok thanks
<pero> alright well i guess there's nothing to do then
<guzzi> Instance.cc
<guzzi> Initialize function
<guzzi> First comment inside
<guzzi> Sorry github mobile has no li e numbers
<guzzi> Line
<i2p-relay> {-fluffypony} ok maybe this discussion should happen later when you're at a computer, guzzi
<anonimal> Good idea.
<i2p-relay> {-pigeons} i'm gonna confirm some things from ya'll in a few, fqdn and git repo to pull from
<anonimal> Anything else on 4.?
<guzzi> I will comment in the pr later
<anonimal> guzzi: I know what you're talking about and see what you want, let's talk more later
<guzzi> Cool
<anonimal> 5. Any additional meeting items
<anonimal> No additional items from me afaict
<moroccanmalinois> One last question : an external app that wants to use kovri (like monero GUI), should it includes only the libs ? or it can include things from src/app ?
<anonimal> Nothing from app. I see no reason for it to include anything from app.
<anonimal> Which means we get things out of app that we need elsewhere. I wrote TODO's.
<moroccanmalinois> Perfect. thx
<anonimal> Anything else on 5.?
<moroccanmalinois> not for me
<anonimal> k
<anonimal> 30 seconds…
<anonimal> 6. Confirm next meeting date/time
<i2p-relay> {-fluffypony} 2 weeks (tm)
<anonimal> 18:00 UTC two weeks from today as usual?
<anonimal> Ok
<i2p-relay> {-fluffypony} April 9th
<anonimal> Thanks everyone


Post tags : Dev Diaries, Kovri I2P Router, Cryptography