Logs for the Kovri Dev Meeting Held on 2017-02-05

Posted by: dEBRUYNE / fluffypony

February 05, 2017

Logs

<anonimal> 1. Greetings
<anonimal> 2. Brief review of what's been completed since the previous meeting
<anonimal> 3. Code + ticket discussion / Q & A
<anonimal> 4. Any additional meeting items
<anonimal> 5. Confirm next meeting date/time
<anonimal> 1.
<anonimal> Hello
<i2p-relay> {-olark} greetings
<anonimal> 'Hola' as hyc would say right now
<Slack> [endogenic] Hi!
<i2p-relay> {-guzzi} hi
<meeting-bot> [i2p-relay] {-ArticMine} Hi
<anonimal> 2. Brief review of what's been completed since the previous meeting
<anonimal> Our last meeting was on November 27th, 2016 so, nothing can be "brief" about a review.
<anonimal> There were holidays, etc, so there was a leave of absence but development is going strong.
<anonimal> All I can say is if anyone is really interested, we have git-log and github (kovri + meta), my fork, and https://forum.getmonero.org/9/work-in-progress/86967/anonimal-s-kovri-full-time-development-funding-thread for any TL;DR
<anonimal> I'm also have uncommitted work, finishing up the crypto impl refactor + testing for this new exception dispatcher.
<anonimal> JFTR: of the thousands of lines of code that we forked from, almost none of it handled exceptions. All this spaghetti code, and that guy did not even have a basic grasp of design with exception handling in mind. Literally, much of the core code is still stringed together with the hope that it won't fail. I hate it. It's always been like walking on glass, but a real fix will take time. So, I've started in
<anonimal> that direction at least in terms of getting exceptions handled or handled better.
<anonimal> We have two new contributors: MoroccanMalinois and Chris Barry (lazygravy), and EinMbyte and olark have returned.
<anonimal> At this point I think a Q&A for "brief review" would be best.
<hyc> that summary is pretty scary
<anonimal> lol
<anonimal> Good scary, I hope?
<hyc> ;)
<anonimal> :)
<hyc> it points in a good direction
<anonimal> Good, I hope so!
<DaveyJones> sounds like bytecoin code :D
<i2p-relay> {-olark} The i2pd situation was interesting to say the least :p
<anonimal> Or more aptly titled: "why2pd".
<Slack> [endogenic] Total kovri noob here. Not looked at the code yet. Is there any significant future use case for kovri libraries? Is it worth doing upfront? sits back down
<anonimal> Monero. That's the biggest future use-case so far.
<i2p-relay> {-olark} I would like to see a future where kovri would be the go to i2p router for implementing into applications
<i2p-relay> {-olark} Instead of tor
<i2p-relay> {-olark} blegh
<i2p-relay> {-olark} Monero obviously first though ;)
<hyc> makes sense. tor was created for the gov't after all
<i2p-relay> {-olark} Yep
<DaveyJones> if it will do good for cash/monero i guess those use cases will follow by time
<anonimal> Everyone seems to be ecstatic about libkovri but I must stress that this is a sensitive network so, the lib should be used with that in mind.
<anonimal> Tor doesn't have this issue. All that work is upon the relays.
<i2p-relay> {-olark} True
<anonimal> Simply shutting down the router when it's most convenient has a negative impact on the network and anonymity. The API needs to take this into consideration as will any applications.
<anonimal> I can get into details, not meeting worthy. endogenic I don't think I answered your question well enough, I hope I can do better after the meeting.
<anonimal> Any questions about "brief review"?
<i2p-relay> {-olark} Hang around in #kovri endogenic
<i2p-relay> {-olark} Basically we are close to nightlies right?
<anonimal> ^ #kovri-dev is more informative
<meeting-bot> [i2p-relay] {Slack} [endogenic] i’m here
<i2p-relay> {-olark} :)
<anonimal> Yes, nightlies are technically available https://build.getmonero.org/waterfall
<anonimal> but
<anonimal> pigeons and I are working out packaging details.
<i2p-relay> {-olark} ok
<anonimal> Right now they all run a hacked makeself installer. So, download -> chmod +x -> run the installer.
<anonimal> Windows requires msys2, this is silly so I think we can do a windows installer method (I posted details in the meta repo)
<i2p-relay> {-olark} nice
<meeting-bot> [EinMByte] Hi, sorry for being late
<Slack> [needmultisig90] oh its being relayed
<Slack> [needmultisig90] neat
<anonimal> needmultisig90 wants to head up the packaging front. needmultisig90: if you aren't watching the meta repo, I highly recommend that.
<Slack> [needmultisig90] link pls
<anonimal> https://github.com/monero-project/meta
<anonimal> If you review the issues, you'll see where are on packaging.
<anonimal> where we are
<Slack> [needmultisig90] Added, will do
<anonimal> I don't want to shortchange the work that's been done since the last meeting, any more Q&A before moving onto the next point?
* anonimal thinks too
<anonimal> Oh, yes, another new contributor alvinjoelsantos (I don't know if he's around)
<meeting-bot> [i2p-relay] {Slack} [needmultisig90] ajs is cool
<meeting-bot> [i2p-relay] {Slack} [needmultisig90] @ajs
<meeting-bot> [i2p-relay] {Slack} [needmultisig90] he appears to be online
<anonimal> Oh, that's ajs, excellent.
<i2p-relay> {-olark} Good to have new blood :)
<anonimal> ajs wanted to work on the website too, IIRC?
<meeting-bot> [i2p-relay] {Slack} [needmultisig90] he's working with me on /r/moneromarket
<meeting-bot> [i2p-relay] {Slack} [needmultisig90] I believe so
<meeting-bot> [i2p-relay] {Slack} [needmultisig90] he has a background in law
<anonimal> "I am the law!"
<meeting-bot> [i2p-relay] {Slack} [needmultisig90] and was working with OpenBazaar on drafting up arbitration agreements IIRC
<Slack> [jollymort] also on the monero stealth addresses script : )
<meeting-bot> [i2p-relay] {Slack} [needmultisig90] he can correct me
<anonimal> Have him take a look at /r/Kovri
<bigreddmachine> does the website exist? i'm happy to help add content and such
<anonimal> bigreddmachine: we all need to tackle fluffypony because he's been coveting the website idea since we started
<anonimal> "MY PRECIOUS!"
<meeting-bot> [fluffypony] bigreddmachine: yes
<meeting-bot> [fluffypony] I moved laptops and so now half my stuff lives on my old one
<meeting-bot> [fluffypony] I'll try consolidate and push it up this week
<bigreddmachine> okay, just wanted to make sure i hadn't missed something. i'll watch the repo - going under getmonero.org or as a separate repo/site?
<anonimal> Last call for point 2. "brief review"
<anonimal> bigreddmachine: while you're here, we did make some progress on Salti. Any news from upstream on their API?
<meeting-bot> [fluffypony] bigreddmachine: same design, new content, linked from the getmonero menu bar
<meeting-bot> [EinMByte] Progress on salti?
<anonimal> EinMByte: yes, have you read some of the conversation in the open salti issue?
<bigreddmachine> anonimal: i've been tracking the open tickets but everything got held during holidays. nothing there yet, but i might make a proof of concept for chromium if there'd be interest
<meeting-bot> [EinMByte] "some of" yes, that sounds about right
<anonimal> bigreddmachine: sounds great
<anonimal> EinMByte: most of the collaboration was in IRC, not in issue.
<bigreddmachine> it would be easy enough to port to firefox + tbb once they finish webrequests.proxy
<anonimal> bigreddmachine: will you open FFS for this? I think it's worth it.
<bigreddmachine> for the chromium part? or ff/tbb?
* anonimal shrugs
<bigreddmachine> i don't feel comfortable proposing something that at the moment isn't possible and relies on mozilla dev community before it can get started…
<anonimal> Ok
<anonimal> Chromium PoC sounds good none-the-less.
<bigreddmachine> but i will FFS it once i think it's doable
<meeting-bot> [i2p-relay] {-ArticMine} I would be careful with Chrome / Chromium since unlike Firefox there is no no option to disable DRM
<meeting-bot> [i2p-relay] {-ArticMine} The DRM could be an attack vector
<meeting-bot> [EinMByte] Anything that relies on mozilla sounds bad to me
<meeting-bot> [i2p-relay] {-ArticMine} Firefox and clones are fine
<bigreddmachine> ArticMine - DRM isn't included in chromium afaik. chromium is only open source code.
<bigreddmachine> … at least that's always been my understanding.
<meeting-bot> [EinMByte] Firefox is fine, of course, and preferably we should use Firefox (or at least that was the initial idea)
<bigreddmachine> anyway, we can discuss details after the meeting if there's interest. don't want to hold up anonimal
<meeting-bot> [EinMByte] but relying on mozilla to move… probably not going to happen
<meeting-bot> [i2p-relay] {-ArticMine} https://bugs.chromium.org/p/chromium/issues/detail?id=686430
<pigeons> no chromium is even binary blobs download at compiletime
<meeting-bot> [i2p-relay] {-ArticMine} The DRM in Chrome is currently an issue in Chromium
<anonimal> bigreddmachine: this is technically "3. Code + ticket discussion / Q & A" so we can chrome-it-up if needed.
<anonimal> Any other comments on Salti?
<bigreddmachine> okay - maybe a chromium POC would need to stay just that, a POC, and never production.
<anonimal> Something to play with at least, I'm up for that.
<bigreddmachine> "Any other comments on Salti?" –> just that i'll keep trying webRequests.proxy
<anonimal> Ok, thank you. That sounds ideal AFAICT.
<anonimal> Onto other code + ticket discussion:
<anonimal> Since I have no questions for myself, any Q&A?
<anonimal> Open PR from guzzi, ETA for completion?
<Slack> [moroccanmalinois] hi guys, guzzi are you interested in #399 ? i may give it a shot if you are not
<anonimal> Oooo #399, my favourite.
<i2p-relay> {-guzzi} * anonimal, this week on PR
<i2p-relay> {-guzzi} * checks 399
<anonimal> moroccanmalinois: ironically, I highly encouraged guzzi to get started on that after we merged his PR.
<meeting-bot> [olark] I'll leave what I have to say for after.
<meeting-bot> [olark] Unless there are no questions people have about kovri
<anonimal> moroccanmalinois: but now that he will be funded, I would ask him to contribute partly to that and help me with many other areas instead
<Slack> [moroccanmalinois] @anonimal "easiest" one i find
<i2p-relay> {-guzzi} sounds like a plan.
<anonimal> I mean, I can't speak for either of you; please do it!
<anonimal> Ok, so moroccanmalinois is on #399 now?
<Slack> [moroccanmalinois] my pleasure if guzzi is fine with it
<meeting-bot> [EinMByte] Do we still have important SSU issues open?
<meeting-bot> [EinMByte] Might take a look in the next week
<i2p-relay> {-guzzi} but converting .jar to c is a great way to learn
<i2p-relay> {-guzzi} we an decide away from the meeting.
<anonimal> #399 is actually great for various reasons, one of which would introduce a new dev to the purpose of libkovri-client and libkovri-core
<Slack> [moroccanmalinois] cool
<anonimal> EinMByte: yes, the same ones I believe since you left though I may have resolved one or two but not closed (I don't know)
<anonimal> guzzi: we wouldn't be converting .jar to c
<anonimal> I'll give details after the meeting
<anonimal> olark did you mean monero question for after the meeting or kovri question?
<meeting-bot> [EinMByte] Alright. Might do some additional refactoring, since I never completely finished that
<i2p-relay> {-guzzi} oh i see just skimmed
<i2p-relay> {-olark} Not so much a question but a new development that pertains to both kovri and monero :)
<i2p-relay> {-olark} Something I have been thinking about while I was looking at Monero's ring signatures.
<anonimal> EinMByte: that sounds great
* anonimal will look at issue tracker after meeting
<anonimal> Ok, anymore on 3. Code + ticket discussion / Q & A ?
<anonimal> Lots of TODO's. I'm adding them like spice to bland soup.
<i2p-relay> {-olark} I'll mention it in 4.
<anonimal> Once I get these two branches merged, maybe someone can pick some of them up. We'll see.
<meeting-bot> [i2p-relay] {-ArticMine} I will bring up an item in 4
<anonimal> 30 seconds until 4.
<i2p-relay> {-guzzi} i like todos
<anonimal> 4. Any additional meeting items
<anonimal> Floodgates opened!
<anonimal> Fashion, food, travel: anything goes!
<meeting-bot> [i2p-relay] {-ArticMine} Yes https://www.myhackerhouse.com/windows_drm_vs_torbrowser/
<meeting-bot> [i2p-relay] {-ArticMine} DRM used to attack tor in Windows
<anonimal> lol
<meeting-bot> [i2p-relay] {-ArticMine} Cost to get Windows to trust this attack 10,000 USD
<anonimal> Thanks ArticMine, looks like a great read.
<anonimal> bigreddmachine: ^
<meeting-bot> [i2p-relay] {-ArticMine} Should also work against i2p
* anonimal will read more after meeting
<anonimal> fluffypony: are you gpg verifying the kovri subscription that's hosted on github?
<bigreddmachine> okay, so i'll go ahead and say that i won't officially ever support a chrome version of Salti then.
<i2p-relay> {-olark} I'll let ArticMine go first
* anonimal wanted to ask that in monero's meeting on the topic of github security
<moneromooo> "subscription" ?
<meeting-bot> [EinMByte] By the way, if anyone needs access to the salti repo, please tell me
<anonimal> moneromooo: https://github.com/monero-project/kovri/blob/master/pkg/client/address_book/hosts.txt
<meeting-bot> [i2p-relay] {-ArticMine} My take is that any browser / OS that supports DRM is vulnerable to an attack against anonymity / IP obfuscation
<meeting-bot> [EinMByte] As with many features like DRM, it's best that they're just enabled
<moneromooo> Thanks.
<meeting-bot> [EinMByte] *disabled LOL
<anonimal> lol EinMByte
<anonimal> moneromooo: the only reason I'm signing it is because fp is pulling directly from github
<meeting-bot> [i2p-relay] {-ArticMine} So i2p on such a platform may create a very dangerous sense of false security
<anonimal> ArticMine: much like anything Windows
* anonimal now windows fan
<anonimal> *not
<meeting-bot> [i2p-relay] {-ArticMine} Yes
<anonimal> olark: 10 minutes left
<anonimal> Tick tock tick tock!
<anonimal> fluffypony: in addition to my ping above, is there any kovri-related news related to your conference circuit?
<i2p-relay> {-olark} Salti is a good solution for now
<i2p-relay> {-olark} In the future we could have our own dedicated browser
<i2p-relay> {-olark} Not sure when that is viable though
<i2p-relay> {-olark} ok
<i2p-relay> {-olark} sorry got really bad tunnel lag
<i2p-relay> {-olark} I have been thinking about how LN or something similar would work with monero
<meeting-bot> [fluffypony] anonimal: just generally good chats
<meeting-bot> [fluffypony] Nothing mind blowing
<i2p-relay> {-olark} Once kovri gets implemented into nodes and wallets this opens the doors to some really great developments
<meeting-bot> [fluffypony] Some good talk on Tor failure modes
<i2p-relay> {-olark} Since we would have access to i2p for routing
<meeting-bot> [fluffypony] A few people at 33c3 said that i2p was a prescient choice
<pero> kovri - the prescient choice for online anonymity
<i2p-relay> {-olark} It would need to be a plugin for kovri
* anonimal wants Kovri's I3P technology. Trademarked, stamped, hah!
<meeting-bot> [fluffypony] Hah
<anonimal> I3P, your cover of choice.
<i2p-relay> {-olark} Could have a client tunnel for LN functionality in wallets
<i2p-relay> {-olark} Use kademlia DHT so the other "lightning" nodes know of each other
<i2p-relay> {-olark} Would be able to route around centralized troublesome nodes
<meeting-bot> [fluffypony] Can I shut meeting-bot down, anonimal
<i2p-relay> {-olark} Fixes a lot of problems the current LN development is trying to fix
<anonimal> fluffypony: 3 minutes left?
<meeting-bot> [fluffypony] Kk
<i2p-relay> {-olark} Don't need to build routing from scratch
<i2p-relay> {-olark} Anyway it is still way to early to really till this could be possible
<anonimal> olark: sounds interesting. I'd need more info to have a comment.
<Snipa> moneromooo - I'll work on the isolated testnet in a bit. I apparently need to rebuild all of my monerod's w/o libunwind, or it crashes trying to init a new blockchain. So I'll have it tested a bit later today.
<i2p-relay> {-olark} But there is good potential
* anonimal swats Snipa
<moneromooo> Cool, thanks Snipa
<anonimal> Ok, one minute left. 5. Confirm next meeting date/time
<anonimal> Same time, two weeks from now?
<bigreddmachine> february 19? i can do that
<i2p-relay> {-olark} Sounds good
<anonimal> Ok, I'll post on meta repo.
<anonimal> Thanks everyone!


Post tags : Dev Diaries, Kovri I2P Router, Cryptography