Overview and Logs for the Dev Meeting Held on 2016-07-03

Posted by: dEBRUYNE / fluffypony

July 03, 2016

Overview (by Aerbax)

An overview can be found on Hello Monero

Logs

<fluffypony> time for meeting to start
<hyc> ok
<ArticMine> Ok
<fluffypony> ArticMine / othe / smooth / NoodleDoodle / moneromooo / tewinget / dEBRUYNE / gingeropolous / etc.
<dEBRUYNE> somewhat here
<fluffypony> ok
<fluffypony> welcome to the 75th annual hunger games
<fluffypony> ok so
<fluffypony> first things first, small administrative update
<fluffypony> we've re-applied for funding from the OTF, but for Kovri (given their previous response)
<fluffypony> it's the start of the process, but who knows, maybe we have a bit of funding to work on both
<fluffypony> as Monero represents an example integration
<fluffypony> then the open issues are creeping up, there are a bunch I'm going to be closing as solved
<fluffypony> #754 is an interesting onw
<fluffypony> *one
<fluffypony> https://github.com/monero-project/bitmonero/issues/754
<moneromooo> We don't care now, since rct.
<fluffypony> good point
<fluffypony> ok so then it can be closed as wontfix
<moneromooo> Well, it's fixed, by transfer_new.
<fluffypony> yes
<fluffypony> so
<fluffypony> I'd like to reopen the discussion of deprecating transfer and replacing it with transfer_new
<fluffypony> or is that pointless because rct
<moneromooo> I've done that in the rct branch.
<fluffypony> ok great
<fluffypony> perfect
<fluffypony> then binary renames are on hold until the rct PR
<fluffypony> because I don't want to make that implode
<hyc> what renames?
<moneromooo> I don't think this would conflict much, if at all.
<gingeropolous> bitmonerod –> monero and stuff like that prolly
<fluffypony> hyc: https://github.com/monero-project/bitmonero/issues/80
<fluffypony> this in particular: https://github.com/monero-project/bitmonero/issues/80#issuecomment-223596750
<hyc> ah
<fluffypony> moneromooo: do you want me to PR changes to your branch then? will save you a rebase?
<moneromooo> Sure.
<fluffypony> ok great
<moneromooo> Would rct be merged before the wallet2_api stuff then ?
<fluffypony> so that's the next thing for discussion
<fluffypony> the massive wallet2 PR
<fluffypony> it's rebased against master now
<fluffypony> moneromooo: what are your thoughts on merging before or after ?
<moneromooo> I don't really have one.
<moneromooo> Maybe merge Ilya's first, since there's not going to be much review/fixes anyway.
<fluffypony> ok
<gingeropolous> so wallet2 a buncha stuff specifically designed for GUI?
<moneromooo> wallet2_api is.
<fluffypony> there's also been a fair amount of review on that PR because it's so hefty - is everyone comfortable that major issues (especially in git history) have been resolved and it can be merged?
<moneromooo> Depends on how high you put the bar.
<fluffypony> moneromooo: it's low - we can open issues to fix stuff after the merge
<moneromooo> But assuming the GPL code is gone, I think it's ok. It can be changed later.
<fluffypony> oh the GPL cmake stuff, I'll check on that
<fluffypony> looks like there's a BSD licensed replacement now
<moneromooo> I saw the comment, I did not look at the new code.
<fluffypony> hokay
<fluffypony> then there are a bunch of new PRs if anyone wants to take a glance at them
<fluffypony> #878, #879, #882, #883, #884, #885
<fluffypony> they're mostly small
<fluffypony> I need someone to check mine (885, just a readme change) before merging plx
<hyc> huh i only see up to 881
<hyc> oh PRs not issues
<moneromooo> I seem to have reviewed all these, except the windows packages one which I have no clue about.
<fluffypony> it compiled successfully
<fluffypony> couple of weird complaints about deprecations at the end
<fluffypony> C:/msys64/mingw64/include/boost/type_traits/detail/template_arity_spec.hpp:13:84: note: #pragma message: NOTE: Use of this header (template_arity_spec.hpp) is deprecated
<fluffypony> # pragma message("NOTE: Use of this header (template_arity_spec.hpp) is deprecated")
<fluffypony>
<hyc> I've been getting that on most builds now
<hyc> boost 1.60
<fluffypony> ah
<fluffypony> boost, sigh.
<hyc> not sure what there is to do about that since it's an internal header file, not one thata we explicitly include
<fluffypony> http://permalink.gmane.org/gmane.comp.lib.boost.devel/264164
<fluffypony> fixed in 1.61
<hyc> ok
<fluffypony> ok so
<fluffypony> general update-y time
<fluffypony> tewinget doesn't seem to be around, he can update us on 0MQ when he is
<fluffypony> moneromooo: how goes ringct?
<moneromooo> I'm kinda blocked today, so I didn't do much.
<fluffypony> I mean in the last two weeks since the last meeting, lol
<moneromooo> Both that watch only thing that nobody wants to talk about, and waiting for shen's sybil resistant upgrade.
<fluffypony> kk
<moneromooo> Well, last two weeks, more tests, fixes, sweep_all now uses rct, and better output selection (for the general case).
<hyc> does rct let us do watch only with both deposits and withdrawals?
<moneromooo> No.
<fluffypony> this sorta bounces back to the MRL, so we wait for feedback
<fluffypony> hyc: are you doing anything interesting at the moment?
<hyc> not really. I still need to come up with a fix for txn_full on 32bit
<hyc> I'm traveling most of the the rest of this month
<hyc> so not much hacking time
<fluffypony> cool beans
<fluffypony> ok - anything else from anyone else?
<luigi1112> Hi
<luigi1112> :-)
<moneromooo> If anyone wants to start reviewing the rct-rptest branch, I don't think it's going to change again (save new commits).
<moneromooo> Like, find how to pwn it.
<fluffypony> oh luigi1112 I forgot to tag you at the beginning, apologies
<moneromooo> Would be a good job for Heuristic, except there's no picture of hte code…
<moneromooo> Oh, some other dev related thing: luigi1112, any news on the change to signing something from a standard address ? :)
<luigi1112> Nah I've been reading but don't have any time to participate atm
<luigi1112> Oops :-)
<luigi1112> Still soon
<fluffypony> you forgot the tm
<fluffypony> it's not soon if it's not tm
<luigi1112> Well it should be this week or next :-)
<fluffypony> ok I think that brings the meeting to a close - Kovri meeting is only in 23 minutes, so feel free to add / discuss new things and it'll be in the log
<hyc> i got nothing, catch y'all next time
<gingah> any new thoughts on the auto fee thing?
<rg> id like to bring up the most imporant issue, fluffypony – free XMR for me
<fluffypony> gingah: auto fee?
<moneromooo> The thing ArticMine was looking at - scaling fees based on… stuff.
<ArticMine> Setting fees based on the blocksize
<ArticMine> and the reward penalty
<ArticMine> One also has to look at optimizing what transactions miners will accept vs block penalty and fees paid


Post tags : Dev Diaries, Monero Core, Cryptography